April 1, 2013

I'M AN OFFICIAL MISSIONARY!!!


Familia!!!!!

I am official a missionary writing on P-day! Oh my goodness. It is amazing to think that I made it to this day! So much has happened in the past week and a half, it is madness. The first couple days were really crazy. They pretty much just throw you into it... the Spanish and teaching and studying, and it was definitely a bit overwhelming. Everyone just kept saying make to Sunday though, and they were so right. Once Sunday came around, I definitely felt like I got into the swing of things! I love the MTC!! :)

Okay, so where to start. My companions. I love them! There are three of us in a companionship because one girl didn't end up coming. So my companion’s names are Hermana Johnson and Hermana Call. We are all going to the Chile Osorno Mission and I love them!! Hermana Call is a musical theatre major and seriously one of the most creative people I have ever met. And Hermana Johnson is so sweet and funny and beautiful! We have lots of things in common and often break out in fits of laughter haha. I just love her! Our whole district is awesome too. There are two other hermanas and 6 elders, all of whom are awesome. We aren't all going to the same mission (some to Argentina, Santiago, and Bolivia), but we will all leave the same day. Basically... districts are the best. They are like a little family :)

Spanish!!! I am not joking when I say they literally throw you into the language haha. You speak and teach it before you even learn it. Our first lesson with our investigator, Daniel, was last Friday and we were so nervous because we hardly knew what to say! I am so so sooooo grateful I took that Spanish class at BYU last semester though. I totally underestimated what a blessing it would be! I am by no means a pro, but it has been such an amazing blessing to know the basics and such.

The Spirit here at the MTC is so incredible. I can't even describe how amazing it is to be in a huge congregation of missionaries before devotional and sing hymns together. Talk about the most incredible feeling ever! It's like a literal wave of the Spirit that completely fills the room and reverberates off the walls. It is amazing. One hymn that we have sung a lot and you hear hummed in the hallways quite often is "Come Thou Fount." I already love this song, but I love it even more now! There is a line that says, "Here's my heart, oh, take and seal it." That is exactly how I feel. Heavenly Father, here is my heart! I am here to learn and serve and bring others unto Christ. I can't do it without your help, so take my heart, my whole soul; so that I can become the missionary you want me to be :)

I have received so many blessings while I have been here! Heavenly Father just answers the tiniest little prayers. One day, Hermana Johnson and I had been feeling really discouraged about the way a lesson had gone and about feeling like we needed to "prove ourselves to the elders," especially the zone leaders who seemed to favor the elders. There were lots of tears, and things were just rough. That night we were divided up into companionships so older missionaries could come talk to us, and who walked in but the zone leaders! They gave the most spiritual and uplifting advice about teaching investigators and reminded us that the Spirit is the teacher, not us. Our job is to help others come unto Christ, and let the Spirit do the rest. They also reminded us what an amazing difference sisters make in a district and how the sisters in their district motivate them and make them want to be better. Can you say answer to prayers? Hermana Johnson and I started to cry as soon as they walked out. It what exactly what we needed to hear :)

We have heard so many times that the Spirit is the teacher, but I can feel the difference when we are trying to teach the lessons and the Spirit is teaching. It is amazing! Our thoughts are in tune with each other, and even though our Spanish is weak, we know what to say. One sister told us that we should pray for three things in the MTC: 1) the gift of the Holy Ghost 2) the gift of Discernment and 3) the gift of Tongues. In THAT order. We are here at the MTC not to learn Spanish, but to become converted and learn to teach with the Spirit. It is s amazing! I love the MTC!

Ahhh running out of time. But I love you all! Sooo much!!! I have gotten so many letters, and I love everyone who has sent them! I will respond as soon as I can! Also, read 1 Nephi 3:15. I know we all have a work to do, and Heavenly needs us to bless his children. I am so grateful for this gospel. I know it is true. I know I can do anything with my Savior. I know that this is where I am supposed to be and there are lives that I need to reach in Chile, that only I can reach. I love the MTC so much and I am so glad I am here!!! LOVE YOU ALL!!!! :)

Your missionary,
Hermana Teeples











No comments:

Post a Comment